Advice and Assistance

If you're like most woodland owners, you only have so much time to spend in your forest. Job, family, and other considerations must come first. This is not the case, however, with foresters, loggers, fuelwood cutters, and others who make their living in the woods. When it comes to managing their forests, most woodland owners are part time amateurs dealing in a world of full time professionals, and at some point in time they're likely to need some help.

There are several agencies and associations in Connecticut that offer help to woodland owners. Some provide information, some offer professional assistance, some even offer financial assistance. There are so many potential sources of help, in fact, that it's easy to confuse one with the other. Yet learning where these sources are and what each one can do for you is probaby the single most important step a woodland owner can take.

What follows are descriptions of a number of public and private sources of information and assistance for forest owners. Contact your local Cooperative Extension office or Connecticut Division of Forestry Service Forester for more details.


Consulting foresters are private independent professionals who earn their living managing forestland for woodland owners. They also serve as the landowner's representative in marking, tallying and marketing timber and other forest products. Most offer a full range of forest and wildlife management services. They charge for their services, either on a per diem basis or as a percentage of gross income received for wood products sales which they oversee.

Industrial Foresters work for a wood using industry, usually a sawmill. Most offer professional marketing services if you sell your timber to their employer; a few offer comprehensive management services as well. The cost of their services is usually not charged directly to the landowner, but incorporated into the price received for the timber purchased.




Advice and Assistance:
pix space
arrow Public Agencies
pix space
arrow Private Foresters
pix space
arrow Associations
pix space
  College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
Cooperative Extension System
1376 Storrs Road, Unit 4036
Storrs, Connecticut 06269

University of Connecticut | Disclaimers, Privacy & Copyright